Hey there friends!
Today I want to help you practice self-love and self-care while decluttering and purging your cosmetic drawer. Of course, keeping only our freshest and favorite beauty products. Although we rarely talk about it, throwing out old or expired cosmetics is crucial in maintaining healthy skin.
January is my favorite time of year to purge skincare and makeup that has collected in my cosmetic drawer over the year. Christmas was just about two weeks ago, and it's easy for me to remember if this came to me in the last year.
While I acknowledge that it can be tough to part with products you've spent money on, using expired cosmetics can do more harm than good.
Here are 3 good reasons why it's important to toss those old makeup and skincare products:
- Bacteria buildup: Cosmetics, especially water-based products used on the face, are prone to bacterial contamination. Using expired products can lead to the growth of bacteria, which can lead to breakouts and skin irritation.
- Decreased effectiveness: As products age, their efficacy decreases. This means that an expired product may not work as well as a fresh one and may even cause reactions to your skin.
- Allergies/skin reactions: If you have sensitive skin, using expired products can increase your risk of developing an allergic reaction.
So, how do we keep our beauty routine fresh and approach identifying and throwing out old cosmetics? Here are a few tips:
- Check the expiration date: Many cosmetics have an expiration date printed on the packaging. This is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the product will remain effective. If the product has already expired, it's time to say goodbye.
- Pay attention to changes in the product: If a product has changed in color, consistency, or smell, it's probably time to toss it. *This is the process you'll use when checking your Cosmic skincare & makeup products. These changes can indicate that the product has gone bad.
- Be mindful of how long you've had the product: Even if a product has yet to expire, it's important to be mindful of how long you've had it. For example, liquid foundations and mascaras should be replaced every three to six months to prevent bacterial contamination.
Don't let your old beauty products do more harm than good!
This week, take the time to go through your makeup bag and skincare shelf and toss any expired or questionable products. Your skin (and wallet) will thank you in the long run.